|Can you spare £2 for the donkeys?
In this very difficult time for us all, the financial squeeze is being felt here at the Sanctuary.
With an increase in donkeys being relinquished into our care each month because their owners can no longer afford to keep their well-loved donkeys, we are appealing for your help.
*** New Arrivals ***
May - 102 donkeys
April - 62 donkeys
January-March - 120 donkeys
How much does it cost?
- £5 could allow us to keep our rescue vehicles on the road for an hour, rescuing desperate donkeys from appalling conditions.
- £8 could buy a bag of fibre nuts. An elderly donkey eats 2 kg per day (in 2 feeds). A 15 kg bag of fibre nuts would therefore feed one donkey a week.
- £10 could buy a bale of wood shavings to use in the donkeys' stables. It takes approximately 4 bales to start a bed and then 1-2 bales a week to keep it topped up and clean for a pair of donkeys using one stable.
- £12 could help to provide a warm straw bed for donkeys in need of shelter. Many donkeys, new to the Sanctuary, have had little or no access to shelter and have often had to endure extremes of weather.
- £15 could help towards the cost of providing special feed for our older resident donkeys that can no longer chew grass or hay properly due to worn out teeth. Older donkeys need special, nutritionally complete and easily manageable meals to ensure that they do not lose weight.
- £20 could help towards the cost of providing a Farrier to trim, file and treat a donkeys hooves. Rescued donkeys often suffer from painful feet due to neglected, overgrown hooves.
- £30 could help to fund treatment from an equine dentist to rasp teeth and remove any uncomfortable, sharp edges. New arrivals at the Sanctuary often suffer with painful mouths and sore gums which can create a loss of appetite. Without expert treatment, these donkeys could be at risk of starvation.
- £90 could buy 1 tonne of straw. 1 tonne of straw is equivalent to 30 small bales of straw. Each group of donkeys is fed ad-lib straw unless they are on diets, have a dust allergy or have breathing problems.
Donations by cheque
If you prefer to make a donation by cheque, please make your cheque payable to "The Donkey Sanctuary" and send to:
The Donkey Sanctuary
Donations by credit card
Alternatively, if you prefer to make a donation by credit card, please telephone +44 (0) 1395 579128.